Paula Deen, Judgment and the Judgment of God


Recently, celebrity chef Paula Deen got into some trouble, (“some” may not be the most appropriate word), when she admitted using the “n-word” some 30 years ago.[i] There are also allegations that some of her co-workers or restaurants encouraged inappropriate and derogatory language and behavior. Court cases are still pending for the same. In the meantime, supporters have fled from Paula Deen, her company, and her restaurants. Media members have excoriated Deen as well. Blasted across TV shows, the internet, and newspapers are articles either supporting or pronouncing judgment on Deen.[ii]

My purpose here is not to defend or accuse Paula Deen, but to illustrate a point about the legal examination we all will have to undergo at one time or another. Each one of us will have to give an account to God for every action, every casual word, and even every thought? Deen is in trouble for admitting she said something 30 years ago, but when the Almighty comes to judge the living and the dead he is going to review a lifetime’s use of our minds, hearts, and tongues. In addition, he is not going to focus on the large details of our lives, i.e. ‘were generally you a good person, husband, father, worker, etc.?’ but the specific minutiae of every year, month, day, and minute of each individual life. In our day the wrong deeds or words of a person can be plastered on every TV show, Facebook account, email, and news story for days on end. The pressure and judgment a person receives socially, legally, or civilly can be immense. Can you imagine what it will be like to stand before the throne of God and have to give an account for every thought, every action, and every word spoken from the day you were born until the day you died?

As politicians are fond of saying, “Let me be clear”, I am not trying to come across as a religious zealot, like so many people seen on street corners or preachers on TV who scream about the coming wrath of God. We are all familiar with these types of people, who are known for sweating, screaming, and carrying around scary signs that show people in torment and flame. You’re in luck because for one thing I can’t scream on a blog. Secondly, I don’t sweat while typing at a computer. Thirdly, and more importantly, I am not trying to frighten or terrorize anyone, but I do want to have a frank and honest conversation about the truth of who God is, what is told to us in the Bible, and how current events pale in comparison to the coming judgment.

For starters, let’s look at what a few verses have to say about the judgment of God:[iii]
- “For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil,” Ecclesiastes 12:14
- “but they will give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead,” 1 Peter 4:5.
- “because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead,” Acts 17:31
- “So then each of us will give an account of himself to God,” Romans 14:12.
- “For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done,” Matthew 16:27.
- “I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak,” Matthew 12:36.

Those last two, by the way, were said by Jesus.
We could go into a lengthy discussion about this topic and each of these verses, but let me just highlight some pervasive thoughts in these verses:

1   Judgment is coming. I know it’s not popular or “nice” to talk about judgment. Sorry. As much as I try to be considerate and loving in communicating the truth, there is no skirting the Bible on the pending judgment for all. It is what it is. Like in the old western High Noon, 12 o’clock is coming; you’d better be ready for it. Jesus is coming back, and when he does he will judge all. No one can escape it. There will be no rock to hide under and no shelter in the day of trouble. Again, I’m not trying to scare you, but you’d better be aware. These passages repeatedly use the phrase, “the day”, “that day”, and “the day of judgment”. The indication is clear. There is “A Day” above all other days, where men and women will be judged.

2)      Everyone will have answer for every deed, every secret thought and every careless word. There is no action, word, or thought which will not be considered before the throne of God. God deals in specifics, not generalities.
3)      There is no disagreement in attitude or plan between God and Christ regarding the pending judgment. Some believe in a dichotomy between God, as seen in the Old Testament, and Jesus in the Gospels. They look at Jesus as some kindly forgiving one who will overlook every evil deed, whether one has repented, sought forgiveness, or trusted him for salvation, while God is a mean vindictive deity. No, the Son and the Father are of one mind. There is no confusion between the Godhead. Jesus and God will sit in judgment on all mankind and there will be no dispute and no wringing of hands between them about the guilt or punishment to be handed out.

Maybe you’re reading this and thinking I’m a jerk. Maybe you’re reading this and thinking, “Wow, he got here from Paula Deen?” Maybe you’re reading this and thinking, “Man I’m screwed”. Let me respond to each in order:

1.       No, I’m not a jerk. I’m simply trying to make you aware of the truths of the Bible. If you doubt me, read it for yourself. I’m trying to point out truth. Sometimes truth is painful, (just like my son learns that a pot is hot when on the stove.  It’s not the stove’s fault for being hot). I do hope I have communicated truth as kindly possible.
2.       Yes, I got here from Paula Deen. I am that talented as an author and Christian commentator on today’s events. It’s a gift. It’s the reason why this blog is the 52,000,000,000th most popular blog in the world.
3.       You are screwed. I’m screwed. Your postman is screwed, (if you were wondering). If you honestly think about what the Bible has to say, you have to admit we’re all in serious trouble. Who can stand before the pending judgment of God? I mean sure, we’ve all had some good days here and there, but if God is going to judge the secret thoughts and even careless words of my mouth and his standard is total purity then we are ALL in trouble.

Here’s the good news, which the Bible calls “the gospel”. God, knowing the pending judgment of evil, sent his Son to be a sacrificial lamb for the sins of men. Jesus came to earth, lived a life of perfect purity and obedience to God, and then was nailed to a cross and “judged” as a guilty man. He did this so people could escape the wrath of God, so God could look at men and see the perfection of Jesus Christ, and not the imperfection of their thoughts, actions, and words. All a person must do to receive this gift is to simply turn from their evil and trust that Jesus has paid it all for them. Then they can say like the old hymn,

No condemnation now I dread; Jesus, and all in Him, is mine;
Alive in Him, my living Head, And clothed in righteousness divine,
Bold I approach th’ eternal throne, And claim the crown, through Christ my own.
Amazing Love, how can it be, that thou, My God, should die for me.
- Charles Wesley

We are in a world where men do, say, and think evil, harsh, and horrible things about one another and even themselves. God, in his righteousness, has set a day when he will judge evil, even the hidden things in men. Yet God has already brought about judgment on Jesus Christ, his Son, so that evil men, like you and me, may escape “that day”.







[i] Full disclosure: I don’t know anything about Paula Deen other than she is big on butter, making good food, and has had several shows and cooking-type books. Other than that, you got me. Cooking isn’t really my thing. I’m more of a sports guy. I’m not going to get into the discussion of what is an appropriate judgment and consequences for her actions. Several have already done that quite extensively and I’m not one to recreate the wheel.[i] My purpose today is to highlight what I saw as an interesting correlation between the treatment of Deen and the Bible.
[ii] No, I don’t approve of the use of the “n-word” or discrimination.
[iii] I acknowledge this is a DEEP subject and one about which many writers and theologians have written whole volumes about. That being said, my purpose was simply to stir the pot, so to speak, and get folks thinking. This blog is in no way an attempt to give a systematic account of the judgment of God. For anyone who is really interested in the subject I would recommend sitting down with a Bible, a good concordance, possibly a Systematic Theology volume, a pen and paper and studying it on your own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment