Genesis 19: the Wrath and Mercy of God, and an extremely long introduction that keeps going and going and going...

Just a note: I realize I do a lot of blogs that are parts or series and I sometimes don't finish those series. I admit I have a problem. I am working on it with a licensed counselor I found online who has been very helpful. All they asked for was a major credit card and my personal password to my email, etc, but he/she seems very helpful even though I don't know their real name and have never seen them in person. But at this point I haven't gotten over my partitisness, so we shall continue until my counselor either resolves my problem or takes all my money. All that to say I know I started a Nadab and Abihu series. I promise I'll get back to it soon enough. I know you're all waiting with baited breath. But for now, we continue with my other series: Genesis. 

The little Asian man is "uncomfortable".
Sometimes the Bible talks about stuff that is uncomfortable. Sometimes in the Bible God addresses sin or evil habits/thoughts in our lives. It's not very unpleasant to be called out on those things. I for one, get rather defensive when my wife calls me out, (rightfully), for leaving food out overnight, getting angry at the children, or for being insensitive to her, (yes, I know you're all surprised that even I, Travis Hendley, could be an insensitive toad). No one likes having to admit they were wrong. The Bible is like that because sometimes acts like a mirror in that it can show us the dirt and nastiness on our own lives. That's uncomfortable.

Sometimes the Bible talks about difficult subjects, like Hell, judgment and the wrath of God. That's uncomfortable for folks because they don't like the idea of an almighty and sovereign God judging people and punishing them for the evil in their lives. We also don't tend to like it when God tells us what is right and wrong. We want to be able to determine what is right and wrong for ourselves, and if there's an almighty judge and arbiter of the universe then we don't get that power anymore. That's uncomfortable.

The problem is there has to be a moral and righteous standard outside of ourselves to determine right and wrong. Why, you may ask? Why can't I just decide what is right and wrong? Well technically, you can. In one sense God has given and women the freedom to choose how they want to live and what they determine is right and wrong. He will allow them the freedom and consequences of their choices. However, history has shown that whenever men and women become their own rulers and own arbiters of right and wrong society falls into chaos, immorality, murder, torture, and death. See also the Roman Empire, Nazi Germany, Russia under Stalin, China under Mao, the United States in the 60's, the United States right now, (ouch). You can also see this in the Bible in the book of Judges. At this time in Israel's history, (we're not there yet), the Israelites decided, with a few exceptions, that they would forsake God's commands and do life their own way. The result was that things started to spiral badly out of control in their nation. By the end of the book the nation had descended into gross immorality, murder, and evil to the point where the nation of Israel almost wiped out one of its own tribes.

Why does this happen? It happens because of sin. What is sin? Sin is anything contrary to the character and command of God. God has given his commands, not because he's a jerk, but because he's not stupid. He knows how life works best for human beings and that is in fellowship with him and obedience to his Word. He is wise, loving, and good and therefore so are his commands. To use an overly simple illustration it's also why I tell my children not to put their finger into electrical outlets. At this point I am smarter than them and I care for them, so I don't want them to singe the hairs off their eyebrows. It's the same way with God. He created the universe, marriage, sex, men and women, and knows how life will work best for them.

Let me illustrate how this plays out with my children: My middle child and son were sick. They had some
congestion which caused them to cough during the night. So my wife and I got some hot air humidifiers to steam up their rooms at night and help them breathe easier. Those humidifiers work by basically boiling the water in the tank so that steam comes out into the air. Well there is the danger of getting burned if you touch the wrong part on the humidifier. It's no problem for my son because he's caged into his crib, but it is a problem for my inquisitive 4 year old who can get out of bed and wander around and touch things. My wife and I, knowing this, instructed our daughter on the dangers of touching this machine and how it would burn her if she touched the wrong part. For her good and her protection we advised her NOT to touch the machine under any circumstances because she would get burned. Well what happened? You guessed it.

Every parent has seen this expression.
The following is an actual conversation that took place in my living room at 9 pm one evening. 

Annie, (hurriedly walking downstairs): "Mommy!"
Mommy: "What?"
Annie: "My finger hurts?"
Daddy: "Go to bed, you'll feel better in the morning." (If you're a parent, you understand).
Annie, (getting distressed, showing she's really hurt): "But it HURTS!"
Mommy, (more compassionate that Daddy): "What happened honey?"
Annie: "Welliputmyfinder(sob)inthethinganditburnedmyfingerandnowitHURTS(SOB)"!!!
Mommy: "Did you touch the machine Daddy told you not to?"
Annie, sobbing: "YES!"
Daddy: "Did Daddy tell you not to that it would burn you?"
Annie: "Yes!"
Mommy: "Then why did you do it?
Annie, (giving the answer that every child everywhere has spoken): "I DON'T KNOW!"
Footnote: The child was tended to, ice was given for her finger, and the issue was resolved with compassion. Don't call DSS on me. 

So what's my point here? I started this long introduction to Genesis 19 talking about the way the Bible sometimes makes us feel uncomfortable with the subjects it addresses and the commands that are given. The point I'm trying to illustrate is that if we, as humans, reject that authority and sometimes uncomfortable instruction, we will get burned. God's commands and instruction, though sometimes uncomfortable, are for the good and blessing of people. When we reject that instruction the results are much more unpleasant than a burned finger.

All that was just an introduction to Genesis 19 and the account of Sodom and Gomorrah. Stay tuned for Genesis 19 a continuation of the series...if I can manage to not get distracted again by something "SQUIRREL!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment