Reading the Word...Click here for Money

There's no money...just needed a catchy title. If you're looking for cash, become an auto company and then go bankrupt, ha!

What do you think are the three most important things for a believer to learn? Honestly?
Personally, I'm no pastor, master of learning, theology expert, or person experienced in pastoral care. This is just my humble opinion.

The three most important things for a believer to learn, (particularly a new believer) are:
1. Who God is and what he is like
2. Who the believer is in Christ
3. How to rightly read and interpret the Scriptures

It is the third subject I want to talk about here briefly and hopefully in a few more blogs. How a person interprets the Bible is foundational to every believer's life.

I know someone might ask, (if anyone in fact reads this blog), "You mean we can't just open up and read the Bible?" "What about children? Can they not approach the Bible with a child's heart and learn from God's word?" "Do I have to have a degree from a seminary or Bible school to know how to read the Scriptures?" "How can I give you money so you can buy a fancy sports car?"

To which I answer, in order:
1. We can just "pick up and read" and yes we could still get something out of our reading of the Word. I'm not discouraging in any way casual reading of the Scriptures.
2. Yes, kids can read the Bible and God can still teach them things.
However, considering #1 and #2 together, (this sounds like a bathroom conversation), I have one thought. My first daughter Lillian loves to paint/color/draw. I have several of her creations in my office. They're beautiful to me. She can just pick up a paintbrush, crayon, or marker and make me or anyone else something wonderful. But the fact is she is no Da Vinci or Rembrant. A fancy art museum is not going to come calling for Lillian finger painting # 5, (but I would).

My point is that while casual reading and a child's reading of the Word is perfectly acceptable, there are masterpieces to be found, (not made), if we know better how to rightly read the Word.

3. No you don't have to have a degree from a fancy school to know how to read/study God's Word. One of my closest friends is a bona fide redneck from Gaffney, SC. And he has the sense to know how to read the Word. If he can do it, so can you.

4. Cash...(j/k).

I'm going to try and do a video blog on the site to talk further about this. Just wanted to start out the conversation here and hopefully it will be profitable for our relating to God and his Word.

Peace out for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment