How much is enough?

Hypothetical conversation between Super Christian Dave and Non Christian John as they discuss the gospel.

John: So you say I need to become a Christian. If so, what do I need to do?
Dave: Well, you need to surrender your life to Christ.
John: How much surrender?
Dave: What do you mean?
J: I mean how much do I have to surrender to Christ?
D: Everything, your whole life.

J: Is that what you did?
D: Yes.
J: But have you ever done anything wrong after you became a Christian? Committed any sins you weren't supposed to?
D: Oh yeah, sure. But Jesus forgives me of my sin.

J: So were you not totally surrendered to Christ if you indeed sinned again?
D: Well, I guess I wasn't in that moment that I sinned but...

J: But I thought you needed total surrender, total commitment.
D: Well yes.
J: So I guess you are not a Christian anymore then.
D: WHAT?
J: You said I needed to be totally surrendered to Jesus to become a Christian, right?
D: Yes, but wait just a minute.
J: No. If I have to be totally surrendered to Christ and a good guy like you can't even stay totally committed, then I'm screwed. I may as well just live it up while I'm alive. This "salvation" you are talking about is basically dependent on me and my faithfulness, isn't it?
D:......
D: Well...what I meant was, you need to be believe in Christ, and surrender to him.
J: Okay, so it's me and Jesus working together then.
D: Yes, that's it.
J: So it's not just Jesus then? It's me and Jesus.
D: Um, yes.
J: Then how much of it is my obedience and surrender and how much of it is Jesus on the cross? Can you give me a percentage?
D: Don't be a jerk.
J: I'm serious. If it's me and Jesus then how can I know when I'm "saved."
D: When you believe that he died for your sins.
J: Yes, but after that, how much of me has to be in the equation to equal salvation.
D: You just have to be faithful for the rest of your life.
J: So if I'm not one day or if I'm faithful until I'm 50 and then I'm not surrendered for a while or not totally obedient I'm screwed?!
D: I can't believe you're being such a jerk. This is totally RIDICULOUS!!!
J: Exactly.

- The word surrender is not in the Bible, nor is the concept when it comes to salvation. Romans 12:1 is directed to believers, not unbelievers. And it has nothing to do with the salvation chapters of 1-5.
"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast," (Ephesians 2:8-9).
"For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, "The righteous shall live by faith," (Romans 1:17).
"What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather, discovered in this matter? If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," (Romans 4:1-3)
"Oh, foolish Galatians! Who has cast an evil spell on you? For the meaning of Jesus Christ’s death was made as clear to you as if you had seen a picture of his death on the cross. Let me ask you this one question: Did you receive the Holy Spirit by obeying the law of Moses? Of course not! You received the Spirit because you believed the message you heard about Christ. How foolish can you be? After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort?" (Galatians 3:1-3).

Don't let anyone steal the grace of God from you by telling you that you have to surrender so much or obey so much in order to be saved. It's a bunch of bunk. We are saved by grace through faith ALONE.

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery," (Galatians 5:1).

0 comments:

Post a Comment