El dia de seis in Nicaragua

Matagalpa

Today is the last day of our classes in Matagalpa. Patrick will try to finish up with the Peacemakers course. Harry and I will try to finish up with 1st Timothy. I told Harry earlier in the week that I would buy him a Chick-fil-a sandwich if we managed to finish 1st Timothy by the end of the week, so he is highly motivated. Both Patrick, Harry, and I have gone slow but steady in our teaching because we wanted to focus more on quality than quantity. Today, we still want to have quality teaching, but also want to get through the material. 

We had our last breakfast at Norman's cafe, another delicious meal, then headed to the church. Patrick worked to finish the Peacemaker's material while Harry and I sat in the back and worked to make  final preparations for our last talk. Patrick was able to finish his course, although he had to cram some things in quickly at the end. I knew Harry would be cutting it close to earn that Chick-fil-A sandwich. 

In the afternoon I led off teaching 1 Timothy 4:1-10. I started off leading the audience in a rousing Spanish version of "I've Got the Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy, down in my heart". I think the Nicaraguans enjoyed watching me make a fool of myself. In 1st Timothy Harry and I were focusing heavily on how the false teachers were corrupting the Ephesian church by teaching things that were not based in the Scriptures. As an application we tried to remind the Nicaraguans over and over again that they needed to base their thinking on what the Word says, not what we say, what our culture says, or even what their leaders say. We challenged them to ask, "Que Dice La Palabra?" (What does the Word say?). We wanted them to be teachers and leaders that were grounded in the Scriptures for their answers. I talked about how in 1 Timothy 4:6 Paul wanted Timothy to "put these things before" the people, stating the Nicaraguans should be carefully and lovingly teaching the Word to their churches. 

Harry quickly took the last hour and a half to run through the last part of 1st Timothy 4, then 5 and 6. Even though he was moving quickly, I still feel like he was able to address the Word well with the audience. He actually finished on time, so I will have to buy him a sandwich when we get back to the states. (Oh darn, more time with Harry Stevenson). 

At 3:45 or so, we had a ceremony for all of the Nicas that finished the courses. Each participant got a certificate and a book that corresponded with the classes. They were all very proud of themselves and each other for what they had learned during the week and also vowed to take what they had learned and teach it to their churches. We took a lot of photographs afterwards with the Nicas proudly showing off their certificates. As we left the church for the final time, many of the people there were asking for Patrick's Facebook information and email. I found this amusing because Patrick doesn't speak or read Spanish at all!

On the way out of town, we stopped at the Nicaraguan Christian Academy, which is partnered with the CFCI team in Nicaragua. The principle, Kerrie, told us about all of the amazing things they are doing there at the school. The campus was beautiful. They currently have a need for teachers of all kinds, so I would encourage anyone to check out their website or contact them directly. 

On the way home we stopped at a gas station and I got a Snickers and a Coke. Even though we had eaten well all week, I can't tell you how delicious it tasted to eat some American junk food. We finally got back to our home in Managua around 9:00 pm and crashed hard. Only one more day until we go home to our families. As my wife posted on Facebook, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can make it one more day."

Benediciones, 
Travis

0 comments:

Post a Comment